Lulu Letty: Smile Like You Mean It

Smile Like You Mean It

Smile Like You Mean It Smile Like You Mean It Smile Like You Mean It
Sometimes I have absolutely no idea what to name a post and this was one of those times. Luckily, I was saved from wrinkling my brain when I remembered something that happened during the shoot, rather something that happens during pretty much every shoot- Cole teasing me and trying to get me to smile. As you will see, he was quasi successful in the last photo.

For most of my life, I've never been a photo smiling type of person; I always feel that I end up looking weird, fake or very awkward, which I do. And the funny thing is my lack of smiling probably gives you all the wrong impression because if you met me face to face you would be surprised to find that I'm a smiling, laughing fool! No joke. Smile Like You Mean It Smile Like You Mean It Smile Like You Mean It Smile Like You Mean It Smile Like You Mean It

Photos by Cole. Thanks, darling!
Sweater, boots and beret: Urban Outfitters
Vintage floral romper: Delightful Dozen, via Idée Géniale
Vintage Coach bag: thrifted
Tights: Target
Locket: J.Crew
...
Chosen by random.org, the winner of the Beta Accessories $25 store credit is Ulrika, of The Red Rosette, and the winner of the Beta Accessories Kitty necklace is Alice, of Bells and Whistles. Thank you so much to everyone that entered and a big Thank You to my lovely sponsor, Beta!

Yours,
Maria Sig 2

Vinda Sonata  – (September 29, 2010 at 11:17 PM)  

very inspiring, maria.
love the pictures, and your boots are really, really fierce!
thanks for sharing :)

gee  – (September 29, 2010 at 11:18 PM)  

you alway look so beautiful and classy in your beret!
i love those boots..i have been looking high and low for a pair of black boots!!
those are perfect.
xoox

Louise  – (September 29, 2010 at 11:22 PM)  

I love everything, EVERYTHING about this. You look slightly Parisian, the grass, the bridge, the boots... you are my style crush.

genevieve, sandbox romance  – (September 29, 2010 at 11:52 PM)  

So much to love about the outfit, the photos, and the romper!

Rio  – (September 30, 2010 at 12:05 AM)  

Aww the last shot is so pretty! I feel weird smiling with my teeth showing in pictures, but in real life I don't even think about it and smile pretty much nonstop! I love your jacket and boots, especially against the floral print of your dress! :)
(http://showersofsunflowers.blogspot.com)

Kaylie Marie  – (September 30, 2010 at 12:05 AM)  

Your boots are absolutely gorgeous.

Amanda, The Upside of Wonder  – (September 30, 2010 at 12:37 AM)  

Aw, it's great to see you smiling in some photos Maria! Your smile is gorgeous :]

So I am totally drooling over your boots. They are fabulous! I may have to check UO out and see if they have any more like them.

Oh, and this is one of my favorite outfits of yours! It's so warm and perfect for the upcoming cool weather.

Take care girl!
xx

ValeF  – (September 30, 2010 at 1:13 AM)  

you look beautiful, You gave me a gorgeous idea to use again some clothes sleeping in my wardrobe! awesome boots!

Siubhan  – (September 30, 2010 at 1:30 AM)  

The same thing happens when I ask my boyfriend to take my pictures! (A lot of 'that's a weird smile, smile properly' ensues - I'm hopeless at it!). Great combination - I love your beret!

Sara  – (September 30, 2010 at 2:40 AM)  

Oh so inspiring outfit! Love the shoes, especially!
And you always manage to spot the coolest milieus for photoshoots!

-Sara
autumn, coffee and inspiration

Regina  – (September 30, 2010 at 2:54 AM)  

This outfit is absolutely wonderful! The autumnal look suits you perfectly. The cardigan is just too cute!

b.  – (September 30, 2010 at 3:09 AM)  

~ * ♥ * ~

This is one of the best outfits/background/photo post that I have ever seen on your blog! The atmosphere of the shoot plus your gorgeous outfit are just perfect and I really like the last photo with your smile.

Seriously, I feel the same way ~ any photo that I am smiling in I seem to instantly hate... >o< And my boy is always trying to get me to smile too! I'm like "NNNoooo ~ please don't!"

But your smiling photo is lovely, maybe you could try to add one or two more often. ^__^

xox,
bonita of Depict This!
~ * ♥ * ~

Diana, Songs and Fairy Tales  – (September 30, 2010 at 3:25 AM)  

Gorgeous outfit Maria! You look so cute with that beret. And I love love love your boots!

Love, Diana
Songs and Fairy Tales

April  – (September 30, 2010 at 3:43 AM)  

Oh I love this outfit! The romper is so cute, and with those boots! I absolutely love the location too! So pretty.

I feel the exact same way about smiling - especially when my teeth are showing haha! I always look so moody in my pictures.

Leah  – (September 30, 2010 at 4:58 AM)  

You wear boots really well. I would never even dare! Looking wonderful, as always.
Your post title made me think of the Killers' song, now it's stuck in my head. THANKS.
=P
But really, I know just what you mean about looking fake. It's the whole awkward 'These photos are being taken for nothing more than vanity, not to commemorate a family event or anything else' feeling that I get, where it feels like smiling would just tip you over the edge of self-obsession.
Or something like that.
You look great when you smile, though. Keep it up!

Chloe Trayner  – (September 30, 2010 at 5:23 AM)  

You look so cute in that last photo, like the cheshire cat. I love this outfit, the boots work so well with the florals and everything else, perfection!

Miki's scrapbook  – (September 30, 2010 at 8:50 AM)  

Oh, I feel exactly the same about smiling for pictures! I have horrible crooked teeth that are exposed when I smile a big smile. My nose looks even wider (I hate that!) and my whole facial expression is just too weird. A while ago, my best friend Val wanted to take a picture of me, she shouted "But smile!", I did, then she laughed ans said, "Oooh! THAT's your smile?" Hahaha. We laughed a lot ... Lucky me! She wasn't fast enough to snap me then, hehe.

Love your boots, Maria! Have a great day!

Miki.

Alice  – (September 30, 2010 at 9:41 AM)  

I now the arduousness of finding a good heading!:) And this one makes me speechless. What a great idea!!! :)
I love,love,love your smile! I think it's a cheeky smile! Sooo.. sweet!:)
Oh and these Photos are more than words can say! Love your Outfit, love your background, love your hair, love your smile, love everything about it!
Ps: OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD!!! I'm so happy that I've won this cuuute Kitty Necklace! Thank you Maria! Ouh and thanks Beta! WOW!:) Ouh and thanks for the Link to my Blog!
xx, Alice from bells and whistles

Justice Pirate  – (September 30, 2010 at 9:46 AM)  

I'm the same way for photos. I've been trying to smile more in photos but I just think too that it looks so fake and odd. I think less smiling makes for more artsy photos though too. You are a doll. I love how you put these outfits together. It is weird how I really love all your clothes when honestly they aren't the type I'd normally be into wearing (other than some of them that you've posted). You make everything just look so much nicer.

Morgan and Lua  – (September 30, 2010 at 9:49 AM)  

Maria, I think it's really hard to smile in "outfit pictures" and have it seem natura (especially when they're tripod pictures). I think I have such a natural frown to my face that people always assume I'm upset about something, not just online but in real life too. Unfortunately I don't really know how to alter that too much!

You're non smiling outfit pictures aren't sad at all. I think they come off as very relaxed and natural. That said, it is nice to see when Cole can get you to crack a genuine smile.

On an outfit note, I like the mostly black outfit with the floral popping through. It's a good way to reuse all those colorful summer pieces.
www.morganandlua.blogspot.com

Archives  – (September 30, 2010 at 10:31 AM)  

its funny - i feel the opposite! if i dont smile in photos, i look angry, down and mean!

i agree with morgan - you look very natural in your pics, not sad! :)

Amy  – (September 30, 2010 at 10:59 AM)  

Love the hat/sweater/boots combo - how funny that they're all from UO! I also have a low-heeled black suede boot for fall - they're so versatile and comfy!

Jenni Wells  – (September 30, 2010 at 12:11 PM)  

well, it's nice to see a hint of a smile. some day you'll have to post a candid shot of your smiling, laughing self.

that sweater is so cute!

sweetersalt.com  – (September 30, 2010 at 12:11 PM)  

Totally coveting that vintage coach.

I actually feel the opposite about myself when it comes to smiling in pictures. I always feel that I look like I'm trying too hard when I'm not smiling. Ugh, the grass is always greener!

Laura

Amber Blue Bird  – (September 30, 2010 at 1:24 PM)  

I am the same way, smiling in photos just doesnt come naturally for me.

Sophie  – (September 30, 2010 at 1:38 PM)  

This outfit is just perfect and I love the last image, its so pretty! I understand what you mean about smiling in photos, sometimes it can look quite forced, which is why I particularly love the natural wee smile in the last photo. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog.xo

pearls-and-timepieces.blogspot.com

HereWeGoAJen  – (September 30, 2010 at 2:07 PM)  

I love that jacket. :)

I am bad at smiling in pictures, but I probably smile too much in person. Wait, can there be such a thing as too many smiles?

sweetdisposition  – (September 30, 2010 at 3:17 PM)  

you're adorable when you smile. Cole is right to keep bugging you. :)

green gable  – (September 30, 2010 at 3:45 PM)  

Love the Coach bag--the ones from the 80s are the best! Looking for one myself!

Anna of Green Gable
http://annaofgreengables.blogspot.com/

eleanor  – (September 30, 2010 at 4:34 PM)  

I want everything you are wearing here. You look gorgeous Maria!

X

Fahion Meow  – (September 30, 2010 at 7:17 PM)  

your outfit is realy cute and the pictures came out great!!! I totally know what you mean about not knowing what to title posts sometimes, it can be a PAIN :)

Come check out my blog and let me know what you think, I'm giving away Jeffrey Campbell shoes :)
http://lafashiondevivre.blogspot.com/

Dottie  – (September 30, 2010 at 9:41 PM)  

Oh, I looove this outfit. Those boots! And the smile is beautiful :)

Spence.  – (October 1, 2010 at 1:09 PM)  

Lovely outfit - the little vintage bag is truely adroable.

You have an amazing blog!
x

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog!

Your wonderful comments are genuinely appreciated!

XOXO,

Maria

Copyright Disclaimer

All drawings and personal photographs are owned by Maria Confer and may not be copied or reproduced without consent. All photos are shot with a Nikon D60 by my husband Cole or myself. When borrowing images please provide a link.

Creative Commons License
Lulu Letty by Maria Confer is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Read about my Privacy Policy.

Header info

Custom header illustration by me.

Subscribe

pinafore ll feed

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP