Lulu Letty: PBL: Why you should still trim your hair

PBL: Why you should still trim your hair

I have the hardest time making myself get trims when I'm attempting to grow my hair long for donation. It feels so very counterproductive that I try my hardest to put it off as long as possible, but that isn't always the best solution.
PBL
The average rate of hair growth is about a half an inch (1.25cm) per month, and if you get your hair trimmed every 8 weeks, you'll have a total hair growth of about three inches per year. Since that's way too slow for people trying to grow their hair long for donation purposes, I suggest getting your hair trimmed every 12 to 16 weeks. But in order to wait that long between trims, you need to keep your hair in optimal condition. Which mostly means, stay away from unnecessary heat (i.e. blow dryers, flat irons, etc), take a daily multi-vitamin, and substitute conditioner for shampoo every other day.

It's best to recognize early on that not trimming your hair is a losing battle. Your hair will end up dried, fried and split. So get those trims and watch your beautiful healthy hair grow!

...
To read more about my hair donation challenge, click on my Pantene Beautiful Lengths page.

Yours,
Maria Sig 2

Hannah  – (September 28, 2010 at 12:46 AM)  

I don't wash my hair everyday so that the natural oils nourish my hair - because they do the best job! And I make sure to give it a good brush as well. Sometimes I go 6 months without a haircut and I never have split ends. Snagless hair ties are essential too, or even better none at all.

Emma  – (September 28, 2010 at 5:33 AM)  

My hair is really in need of a hair cut right now, it's been months... bring on pay day! x

Alice  – (September 28, 2010 at 10:15 AM)  

I love your hair whether long or short. It's so shiny and wavy. You darling of fortune! Mine is a disaster.. Oh and I know I already said it but I would be sooo... glad if you would give feedback about the post on my Blog I dedicate to you!:)
--->
http://bells-and-whistles-by-alice.blogspot.com/2010/09/tea-with-lulu-letty-taste.html

xx, Alice from bells and whistles

nancy : The Sway Report  – (September 28, 2010 at 10:21 AM)  

Hi Maria,

Such a great reminder. If you go to my blog post yesterday (9/27), you'll see how long my hair is getting. Argh! I can't wait to cut it and donate it. I have a very low budget (basically, no frills), and just found a listing on craig's list for a free haircut through Supercuts! So, I'm getting a trim this Thursday.

Stylists always tell me how healthy my hair is. It's all because I have no clue how to do my hair, and I hate spending an hour in the bathroom. So I barely ever blowdry it, save to help it dry faster and to style my bangs.

Once again... great post... It's good to help women with cancer, even if just by donating hair...

xx
nancy

Louise  – (September 28, 2010 at 11:20 AM)  

Thanks for the tips! I always get to a point where I just want to give up growing out my hair so I chop it all off, resulting in my husband calling me "mushroom head." But I digress.

Jenni Wells  – (September 28, 2010 at 12:15 PM)  

Not 2 years ago my hair was so short i had to have part of my neck shaved. now it's down past my shoulders and i plan to keep growing it out. I don't usually wash my hair but a few times a week but almost never get it trimmed. Thank you for the advice! I'll be making an appointment with my stylist.

www.jenniwells.blogspot.com

Rebecca  – (September 28, 2010 at 12:41 PM)  

Your hair looks really healthy. I wash my hair every other day and take vitamins with biotin to try to keep my hair in decent shape.

HereWeGoAJen  – (September 28, 2010 at 2:03 PM)  

I am really, really overdue for a haircut.

Justice Pirate  – (September 28, 2010 at 5:06 PM)  

hehe. I let mine grow out a lot and trim it twice a year (every six months) because I love long hair. My hair usually grows an inch a month, so by next year my hair will reach my goal (which is what it used to be before I put dreadlocks in my hair and had to chop it all off and continually even my hair out). I think it is great that you trim your hair often though. I definitely know mine is a bit ratty after a while. haha.

marykenn  – (September 29, 2010 at 12:00 PM)  

That is the exact same advice my hairstylist gave me. It's been working like a charm. So glad you posted it!

Morgan and Lua  – (September 30, 2010 at 10:00 AM)  

Hey Maria,
So I'm trying to grow my hair out and it seems like it's going to take forever! I occasionally blow dry my hair, but I always have to blow dry my bangs so they sit right. Do you think that using the blow dryer on the cool setting is better for your hair? It is the heat that damages it, or everything about the blow dryer?
What do you think? Thanks!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog!

Your wonderful comments are genuinely appreciated!

XOXO,

Maria

Copyright Disclaimer

All drawings and personal photographs are owned by Maria Confer and may not be copied or reproduced without consent. All photos are shot with a Nikon D60 by my husband Cole or myself. When borrowing images please provide a link.

Creative Commons License
Lulu Letty by Maria Confer is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Read about my Privacy Policy.

Header info

Custom header illustration by me.

Subscribe

pinafore ll feed

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP