Lulu Letty: The Adventures of Millicent

The Adventures of Millicent

The Adventures of Millicent
The Adventures of Millicent
The Adventures of Millicent
So what do you think of Millicent's new paint job? Doesn't the hunter green look so awesome with the tan handlebars and seat! Plus, I just had to complete her transformation with a wicker basket.

A few of you asked me why I chose Millicent for my bicycle's name, my answer is three fold- 1) I love how old fashioned the name sounds 2) I think Millie is a fun and playful nickname and 3) Millicent means 'brave strength' or 'strong work' which feels very fitting for a bicycle.

Here's a little background story about my jacket... About six and a half years ago, Cole and I were straight out of college, newly married and living in Boston. Life was a bit crazy for us, we were young and living in an unknown city. Every day when I would walk to work, I would pass by the Ralph Lauren store and drool over this jacket. I felt it was meant for me and that it would change my life. The only thing keeping me apart from my dream jacket was its hefty price tag. Cole, being a good husband, listened to my woes. A month went by and I had given up all hope of buying the jacket. One day, Cole came home from work with a large package under his arm. He handed me the big navy blue Ralph Lauren box and I immediately went into shock. Once, I opened the box, shock turned to tears. I couldn't believe that he had bought me the jacket. I was so over the moon! Ever since that day, I have cherished this well worn and well loved jacket and its special memory.
The Adventures of Millicent
The Adventures of Millicent
The Adventures of Millicent
The below photos make me roar with laughter, Cole couldn't resist a spin.
The Adventures of Millicent
Photo Credits: Cole. Thanks, darling!
Old quilted shooting jacket: Ralph Lauren
Vintage tweed vest: from mil
Ruffle shirt: J.Crew
High waist jeans: Urban Outfitters
Penny loafers: Lulus
Vintage bicycle: Millicent, aka Millie

small bow no shadow
Here's a before picture of Millie:
The Adventures of Millicent
Not a terrible color, but I had my heart set on hunter green.

I hope everyone had a wonderfully relaxing weekend!

P.S. I've been having internet issues, so please bear with me as I slowly catch up on my blog reading.
Maria Sig

avalonne  – (April 25, 2010 at 11:11 PM)  

Hey Maria! I love this outfit! Looks like you and Cole had a lovely weekend cycling! Love your loafers! I like your quilted jacket! I want one like that, probably can find one like that at Goodwill :) Yay nearly 1000 followers, that's amazing! Hope you had a lovely weekend!

Annie, Time Enough for Drums  – (April 25, 2010 at 11:38 PM)  

These are gorgeous photos! Just breathtaking; makes me jealous. And you look gorgeous, too. I named my bike,too, and opted for an old-fashioned one. My bike is a vintage Peugeot, so I chose a French name for her: Pascale. Happy riding, Annie.

Solanah  – (April 25, 2010 at 11:46 PM)  

This may be one of my favorite posts, with you, your darling bike, and that sweet story! It's so lovely you named your bike, I tend to name my important belongings too :)

xoxo
Solanah
vixenvintage.blogspot.com

kristine  – (April 25, 2010 at 11:52 PM)  

that is such a wonderful story behind that jacket! you are one lucky lady, but i'm sure you know that :)
and your bike is so amazing! that color is fantastic and goes really well with many of your outfits.

Dustjacket Attic  – (April 26, 2010 at 12:13 AM)  

Oh just gorgeous, you, the bike, the outfit....and way to go Cole.

I loved the story about your jacket, truly heartwarming.

You guys are the best, oh and I love the name Millicent.
xoxo DJ

ps I'm sure you have mentioned this before but what type of camera does Cole use.

My Passport to Style  – (April 26, 2010 at 12:26 AM)  

You guys look fabulous with your new accessory, loving the basket! Just to let you know Sex in the City GIVEAWAY OVER at my passport to Style, the post before last! Sharon xx

Erica Leigh  – (April 26, 2010 at 12:42 AM)  

the paint job looks great! hehe, thanks for explaining the name thing. i was just curious. :D

and the story behind your ralph lauren jacket is very sweet! that's so nice that cole knew how badly you wanted it and bought it for you.

<3
erica

Lewis.  – (April 26, 2010 at 12:44 AM)  

I really want a bike like that! I love these pictures. xx

http://theboyyouneverkissed.blogspot.com

Mel  – (April 26, 2010 at 2:12 AM)  

I loved reading your story about the jacket, it's so lovely! Your jeans fit you so well, I love them, and your loafers are wonderful as well! Millicent is a beautiful name for a bike, especially a nice vintage one like that! I'm so jealous, I've always wanted a vintage-looking bike. I'm a little embarrassed to say, but I can't ride a bike :( Every time I try I start screaming because I'm afraid of falling! I have such a terrible sense of balance, but I think I would definitely learn if only to get a bike like yours :)

Tonia  – (April 26, 2010 at 2:40 AM)  

You do look like you should be cycling through a Miss Marple episode with flowers, a loaf od bread and some library books!

Lillian  – (April 26, 2010 at 2:41 AM)  

Love it! Such a smart look. I have always wished to have enough reason to buy a bike, however I live in a sprawling hilly city with bad sidewalks and I'm moving to a humming big city were you need some serious guts to ride your bike in with those cars.

LUU H.  – (April 26, 2010 at 3:31 AM)  

your style reminds me so much about england. haha. love the bike !

Liset  – (April 26, 2010 at 3:36 AM)  

Ohh i love your bike! It is so much nicer than mine haha

Wangari M.  – (April 26, 2010 at 4:05 AM)  

Oh my Millie looks soo lovely in Hunter Green. I thikn the colours suits her and you :) Loving the outfit, you always make preppy looks oh so chic!

my bat lightning heart  – (April 26, 2010 at 4:15 AM)  

oh my goodness I love your bicycle! I am looking for one just like it and not having much luck. My current bike is a little too old and the handlebars are a little too high haha. It's more the sort of bike you ride to the corner shop to buy milk on rather than to work a friends.
I must keep hunting! You have inspired me!
And love the colour change...the green is fabulous!
Your husband sounds so sweet...you lucky girl.

Princess Margot  – (April 26, 2010 at 4:31 AM)  

Ohhhh how lovely is that bicycle!!!!!!!!!

xxx

beingdena  – (April 26, 2010 at 5:41 AM)  

I love your bike. I really miss riding my bike. It's kind of impossible here in London.

Gorgeous jacket. love the whole look. x

Mystery Flight Vintage  – (April 26, 2010 at 5:51 AM)  

Millicent is lovely, and the same colour as my bike, which my fiance built me from scratch, and gave to me on my birthday two weeks ago.

jeune_premier  – (April 26, 2010 at 6:48 AM)  

i'm trying to persuade my wife to buy a bike like that one...
the whole outfit fits perfectly with the bike!!

Cat  – (April 26, 2010 at 7:24 AM)  

Love this bike! What a fun photo shoot you guys had :)

xo Cat

Bunny Darke  – (April 26, 2010 at 7:47 AM)  

I love the story behind your jacket. What a lovely boy you have! :)

Rosie  – (April 26, 2010 at 8:05 AM)  

I so love your bike. It makes me miss mine. Unfortunately, she had a little run it with a bike rack, which bent her out of shape :( You look so lovely and I think you and Cole should move back to Massachusetts to come bike ride with me!

Erin  – (April 26, 2010 at 8:09 AM)  

Gorgeous color on your bike, and that's the sweetest story about Cole!

Vanessa  – (April 26, 2010 at 8:12 AM)  

Oh! Millicent looks just fabulous! I think the hunter green makes her just the kind of bike I dream about riding around the English countryside.

xo Vanessa

Celine  – (April 26, 2010 at 8:39 AM)  

I just love all your pictures - you have such a retro look to you. Just beautiful :)

flnw.blogspot.com

Morgan and Lua  – (April 26, 2010 at 9:10 AM)  

No Wellington in the basket? Again great pics. I'm a huge fan of hunter green and love that you wanted your bike to match your wellies! My hunter green wellies are so far my favorite purchase, I hope to have them for a very long time and for them to see many adventures.
That's such a cute story about Cole. I'm sure it makes you love your jacket even more!
Can't wait to see what kind of adventures Millie takes you two on.

www.morganandlua.blogspot.com

glamirrorous.com  – (April 26, 2010 at 10:18 AM)  

Great pictures! I saw a hat in the basket of your new 'hunter'-green painted bicycle (U've done a good job by the way). I wish you've taken a picture of yourself wearing this hat. I am excited how it will look... ^^
xoxo, Sandra.

Endy  – (April 26, 2010 at 10:39 AM)  

I love your bike! and this pics are so lovely!!

Ms. Chyme  – (April 26, 2010 at 10:40 AM)  

Green is a nice color. So you had a good choice for that. All images are beautiful... Love it!

Ms. Chyme  – (April 26, 2010 at 10:40 AM)  

Green is a nice color. So you had a good choice for that. All images are beautiful... Love it!

Leia  – (April 26, 2010 at 11:08 AM)  

I love Millie's new paint job! I really wish I could ride a bike.

And that story about the jacket is so sweet! I love the fact that you are still wearing it 6 years later :)

Dalena Vintage  – (April 26, 2010 at 11:15 AM)  

Wow! What a makeover :) Millicent was made to wear hunter green!

Jen –   – (April 26, 2010 at 11:36 AM)  

The jeans and shoes combination is perfect! I want that combination immediately for myself!

The green looks fantastic.

joelle van dyne  – (April 26, 2010 at 12:02 PM)  

your bike-riding outfit is very chic! i loved the jacket when i saw the first photos, and after reading the story behind how you got it, it is even more special.

i love your bike too! i am in the market for one myself right now. i've been thinking a lot about names- my childhood bike was named hoosey-poosey. hmm. not so attractive at all! millicent is a great name- it's actually my dog's name. ~joelle

Zoe_Flood  – (April 26, 2010 at 12:16 PM)  

You are so sickeningly cute/adorable, in a good way, I love your little stories, about your bike and your jacket. you and your husband are a dream together, and I love how much you talk about him on your blog, I think that its a big part of you, and that its quite alright to talk about how much you love him. your posts always put a smile on my face :]

DearBeatrice  – (April 26, 2010 at 12:28 PM)  

ohmygosh, I sooo love your new bike!!! makes me want to buy one now ^,^
and of course you look so adorable on it, it's definitely very you ^,^

melina bee  – (April 26, 2010 at 12:46 PM)  

I think Millicent is a great name for a bike or person, especially b/c Millie is such a cute nickname. Those jeans look really great on you.
melina bee

Q's Daydream  – (April 26, 2010 at 12:52 PM)  

Your bike looks fantastic!!! I love the color.
And the story about your jacket is the best! Jonny did that for me too with a dress and I cried for days, lol :o)

Sara Lynn  – (April 26, 2010 at 1:19 PM)  

Maria that was sooooo sweet!

I love Millie, I loved that you named her Millie, because that is the name of my grandparents dog that my parents are now taking care of :)

Bella  – (April 26, 2010 at 1:53 PM)  

I have a friend called (just) Milly and I'm constantly calling her Millicent cause it's far more interesting, really :)
the hunter green looks amazing :) x

Giovanna ♥  – (April 26, 2010 at 3:36 PM)  

The outfit is so cute! I also love the new color! Green is adorable :)
xoxo
Giovanna
www.bohomarket.blogspot.com

grace  – (April 26, 2010 at 7:20 PM)  

what a quick a flawless paint job...how did you do it??

JellyBelly  – (April 26, 2010 at 7:29 PM)  

I agree that Millicent is an EXCELLENT name! My first car's name was Millie and my best friend and I talk about her often (yes, we talk about my first car, we loved her so much!). My current car's name is Midge, but it doesn't roll off the tongue like Millie does!

What a great "new" bike you have!!! It's the perfect fashion accessory!

Amanda  – (April 26, 2010 at 8:01 PM)  

I love Millie's paint job! That's really a fitting color (and name!) for a bicycle!

I love your jacket and I love it even more since it has a special story behind it! What a fabulous outfit (and husband for getting it for you)! :]

Tieka, Selective Potential  – (April 26, 2010 at 8:01 PM)  

Aw, SUCH wonderful photos and your freshly updated bicycle is amazing! I love how you named it! Haha! You look perfect - love the jacket.. and the story behind it. :)

jessica  – (April 26, 2010 at 8:01 PM)  

Millicent looks wonderful... and so do you! That story about the jacket is so cute! That was so sweet of Cole to do that for you! I hope you have lots of fun with your new bike!

Daphne  – (April 26, 2010 at 8:10 PM)  

So lovely! The jacket and its story are both so sweet. What a nice, nice husband! It looks great on you. And the hunter green is really perfect. It's one of my favorite colours. You look adorable as always. Love the loafers.
xox

Cara  – (April 26, 2010 at 8:30 PM)  

Cute idea for a shoot, and nice re-do of the bike.
xoxo
Cara from IFB

daisymay  – (April 26, 2010 at 8:43 PM)  

Aww you look so chic on your newly painted vintage bike!
http://daisymay-dayz.blogspot.com/

Kallie  – (April 26, 2010 at 9:30 PM)  

your bike is majestic. i am drooling.
the story about the jacket is so sweet.

meowsk  – (April 26, 2010 at 10:59 PM)  

Millicent turned put fabulous! Yay for nicer weather and bikes. And your coat story is so cute!

Chocolate and Cognac  – (April 27, 2010 at 4:52 AM)  

She looks great, green suits her!
Gorgeous photos :)

Justice Pirate  – (April 27, 2010 at 9:57 AM)  

Cole looks like he is having such a ball!!! I love it. I also think it is adorable that you name things. I have a name for my car, but that is beacuase my husband's family makes names for evertyhing too.

katrina  – (April 27, 2010 at 1:46 PM)  

Millie's transformation is an improvement. thumbs up to hunter green. :)

Tinker  – (April 28, 2010 at 11:39 AM)  

Tell me you are a professional model, you look GOOD, I'll believe you!

Nice blog, Nice Bike, too.

Never got the urge to name a car or bike, but If I did, I'd name my current bike Hulk, because it's big and GREEN, a Torker Cargo T, in Retina-Searing Green.

rachelfabiano and kortneycooper  – (April 28, 2010 at 1:23 PM)  

so perfect. i need a bike with a basket and a quilted coat! adorable.

party.

julia aka garconniere  – (April 28, 2010 at 11:05 PM)  

what a beautiful bicycle! love it. hunter green is perfect.

sarah  – (April 30, 2010 at 12:03 PM)  

Hi there!

New reader, just found you via the lovely Dottie of Let's Go Ride a Bike. SO glad I did! I can already tell your blog will be a new favorite. I recently bough a vintage bike in a similar color to Millie's original and have to admit I've been wishing she was green. Can I ask how you painted her and what you used? Was it an enormously difficult undertaking or not too bad? I'm tempted to try it myself. Have a wonderful weekend! Love that coat.

Daniella  – (June 5, 2010 at 11:12 AM)  

Oh! Please, please, please tell me where your tan handle bar grips are from! I have been searching forever trying to find ones in just that colour... I love your basket too!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog!

Your wonderful comments are genuinely appreciated!

XOXO,

Maria

Copyright Disclaimer

All drawings and personal photographs are owned by Maria Confer and may not be copied or reproduced without consent. All photos are shot with a Nikon D60 by my husband Cole or myself. When borrowing images please provide a link.

Creative Commons License
Lulu Letty by Maria Confer is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Read about my Privacy Policy.

Header info

Custom header illustration by me.

Subscribe

pinafore ll feed

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP