Lulu Letty: My Mild Obsession- the late 70's to early 80's

My Mild Obsession- the late 70's to early 80's

Due to the heavy snowfall we received in Michigan, I had to take indoor photos. I apologize for their fuzziness. ;0

My Mild Obsession- the late 70's to early 80's
My Mild Obsession- the late 70's to early 80's
My Mild Obsession- the late 70's to early 80's
Some of you may not know this, but I have a mild obsession with clothes from the late seventies to early eighties. Ever since I was little, I've felt drawn to that specific time period. This obsession, I feel, can be correlated with my parents. They were in their early twenties during that time and newlyweds. From music to fashion, their tastes from those years had a major impact on me.

Plus, the late seventies to early eighties brought such awesome sportswear looks to the forefront. As much as I like being a girlie girl, my go-to looks are always a bit sporty and preppy.
My Mild Obsession- the late 70's to early 80's
My Mild Obsession- the late 70's to early 80's
My Mild Obsession- the late 70's to early 80's

Vintage Corduroy Blazer: from mil
Vintage Tweed Vest: from mil
Blue Stripe Shirt Dress: J. Crew
Woven Belt: F21
Grey Socks: Cole's
Brown Clogs: Miz Mooz, via Endless
Vintage Bag: Coach, via eBay
small bow no shadow
How did your parents influence your style? Was it positive or negative?

Maria Sig

Jess  – (February 24, 2010 at 4:19 AM)  

Wow, absolute perfection as always. I love the combination of the cord and tween and linen (?) dress.

My mum sort of influences my style because she has the same sense for colour as me and she was 20 in the 60s and used to sell and make crochet vests of a weekend in the 60s/70s so she was pretty stylish in her time. She's also good on fabrics. I always have to find out what somethings made of before I buy it...that's because of her.

Your parents obviously did a stunning job!

Rachel Follett  – (February 24, 2010 at 4:48 AM)  

I love how you wore that vest. So chic against that gorgeous wallpaper too!

Sher  – (February 24, 2010 at 6:26 AM)  

I've always felt you were more of a sporty preppy kind of girl! You pull it off rather effortlessly each time!!

My mom certainly played a big part in establishing my style. She always made sure I was dressed in the best way possible as I was growing up, so thanks mom hehe:)

xx

Tonia  – (February 24, 2010 at 8:24 AM)  

I'd love to say my mum influenced me but even she would agree that I've forged my own path with clothing!
Love the dress and vest combo...

Kelley Anne  – (February 24, 2010 at 8:25 AM)  

I love your clogs! What a great outfit. I love that era too and have quite a few dresses from the era in my closet. My mom influenced my style through her liberal use of color, but not so much in other ways. I think I like the late 70's/early 80's because so many of the films I watched growing up were from that period.

Erin  – (February 24, 2010 at 8:55 AM)  

My mom had some of the cutest little tops in existence from the late 70's/early 80's. Just adorable little t-shirts with cute pictures and slogans. The key word there is HAD, though, because as soon as my sister and I hit our late teens and realized that they were cool, we promptly stole them all. My chest outgrew them all, so my sister has all those super cool shirts. I also stole shirts from my dad, for the whole ironic polo shirt use, long dress shirt as layer, etc. But they both dress pretty staid now, and I pass down too-small clothes of mine to my mother!

Crystal  – (February 24, 2010 at 9:44 AM)  

Wow! I love those shoes. I've been looking for a similar pair. That front strap looks a little dodgy to me though...it doesn't feel like it'll break or anything does it?

My mom circa 1978-1980 is where I look towards for inspiration...especially hair wise. Though mine is super curly and hers is wavy, the same cuts work so well on both of us.

Sarah Yvonne  – (February 24, 2010 at 10:45 AM)  

I love the layering; the dress looks almost like a night shirt but when paired with the vest it's very cool. Your makeup (especially eye liner) is fabulous here!

Sarah Yvonne

Sara Lynn  – (February 24, 2010 at 10:46 AM)  

lol I steal Kyle's socks too :)

I am loving this obsession of yours! You look great :)

Sara Lynn  – (February 24, 2010 at 10:46 AM)  

lol I steal Kyle's socks too :)

I am loving this obsession of yours! You look great :)

DearBeatrice...  – (February 24, 2010 at 11:01 AM)  

annie hall! that's what first came to mind when I saw this outfit, I looovvvveee it!! Very well put together, like always ^.^

Camilla  – (February 24, 2010 at 11:13 AM)  

My parents perhaps didnt really inspire my style- But my dad certainly lended me some fab items (cue oversized sweaters) and my mum has some pretty cool shoes, and really old items that are beautiful x
I love this, you should wear it with some higher heels though xx
Camilla

RAINBOWPAVINGSTONES.BLOGSPOT.COM

anne  – (February 24, 2010 at 11:31 AM)  

lovin' your clogs!

i hear ya on the 70s/early 80s. those were the years of my childhood, perhaps that's why i've always adored these decades.

Dolly Daydream aka Jasmine  – (February 24, 2010 at 11:32 AM)  

I love your outfit plaid and stripes always seem to look great together!

From Dolly
XX
http://dollydaydreamsdomicile.blogspot.com/

_nina_malvada_  – (February 24, 2010 at 12:11 PM)  

this is has to be one of my favorite outfits from you...

bravo...

Bella  – (February 24, 2010 at 1:26 PM)  

my parents continue to influence my music taste, and I am always stealing their clothes as well hehhe :) xxx

Lillian  – (February 24, 2010 at 2:03 PM)  

I'm LOVING the menswear inspired look! You really suit the girly style, but here you are in this preppy vest looking like a doll! Seeing someone who can wear pretty much anything like you makes me want to expand my fashion horizon! Maybe I'll try some thing out of my comfort zone next!

Alix  – (February 24, 2010 at 2:13 PM)  

I feel like my style influence came from my mom. She was raised on a ranch then moved to a large city, where she became and 80s fashion queen! oh and the photos are hilarious. full body leopard suits, a unessesary perm. But once I came around she had mellowed out and was much more organic in her dress. classic sweaters, gorgeous dresses. but my favorite photo of her is at the river in worn in jeans and a stripped croped top with her arms outstreached and smiling as big as can be. she was the one who taught me to dress for my size. something i think all girls need to be tought.
ps. you are always so classy, i love it
pps. tagged you in an award!!

Mo  – (February 24, 2010 at 2:25 PM)  

good influence i would say; my mom taught me the my very first essential fashion rule when i was very young " do not mix pink and red". She has also taught me to appreciate my curves and wear dresses that enhance them, she taught me how to be "sexy" without being slutty, she still teaches me a lot and we actually share a lot of our clothes

_nina_malvada_  – (February 24, 2010 at 2:36 PM)  

well....i have to ask you something..
i work as an editor at ermoumag.com an online greek fashion magazine and i write about retro looks....i want to add a new weekly column about my some of my fave bloggers and i would like to ask you some questions about fashion blogging and have a couple of your outfit pics on my article..
if you are interested plz send me an e-mail at constellation_iris@hotmail.com...thanks..

Justice Pirate  – (February 24, 2010 at 3:28 PM)  

These are beautiful shots and man how I constantly drool over your wallpaper. nice combination of clothing pieces too!

jessica  – (February 24, 2010 at 3:29 PM)  

You look so cute! I love your hair up like that! My mom was in her 20s in the 80s and she definitely influenced my style a lot! She has the cutest clothes from that time that I'm always borrowing!

Laia  – (February 24, 2010 at 6:53 PM)  

such a cute outfit! reminds me of Annie Hall haha

I don't really know if my parents have influenced my style, they have never really taught me anything about fashion nor music, I grew up listening to Take That and Back Street Boys because of my sister haha

Spain during those decades, and especially Catalonia, wasn't like the rest of the world (because of the dictatorship) and my parents were pretty unlucky and had to grow up very quickly so they didn't really have time for fashion nor music, everything I know I have learned myself

Giovanna ♥  – (February 24, 2010 at 6:55 PM)  

First of all, I love your header! It's so cute!
You look lovely!
xo
Giovanna
www.bohomarket.blogspot.com

Mel  – (February 24, 2010 at 7:02 PM)  

Oh I love the 70s especially! I think my mom kind of influenced me in that aspect, though I haven't really seen too many pictures of her style. However she's given me a couple clothing pieces from the 70s and 80s! I'm really loving this outfit, that dress is divine and I absolutely love how you wore those socks with the sandals! I want to try that soon!

Mel  – (February 24, 2010 at 7:03 PM)  

Whoops forgot to add, I love your new header :) You're such a fantastic artist!

Mousevox Vintage  – (February 24, 2010 at 7:11 PM)  

you really wear the "preppy" / annie hall-esque look very well. xo

Valencia Lia  – (February 24, 2010 at 7:24 PM)  

I love you a vest over that long dress,I would not have thought of that.

It surely fits your style,a little girly yet with touches of menswear too which you love.
I like those shoes you're wearing too!

My mom surely did inspire alot when I was younger. I dressed like her but I guess it was too mature for me then. But its a good thing too as she was the one that got me exposed to fashion.

Valencia Lia  – (February 24, 2010 at 7:26 PM)  

oops,forgot to add!

I'm in huge love with your new header,two thumbs up<3

Mystery Flight Vintage  – (February 24, 2010 at 10:41 PM)  

i love this era too. i'd say the majority of the garments i have been thrifting recently, for myself and my store, have been from the late 70's/early 80's. You look great in this outfit.

x

katrina  – (February 24, 2010 at 10:49 PM)  

you are so pretty, Maria. love this look on you!

Neon Noose  – (February 25, 2010 at 12:22 AM)  

What a lovely post and am loving your outfit. My parents never influenced with my style, I was more influenced by my friends. Hope you are having a great week.

St├ęphanie  – (February 25, 2010 at 2:43 AM)  

Maria, J'adore !
http://mimietnini.canalblog.com/

bestie  – (February 25, 2010 at 3:25 AM)  

I love your outfit so much that I blogged about it! Haha. <3

MJ  – (February 25, 2010 at 3:32 AM)  

LOVE the shirt dress. This is such an interesting style from you!

Kate  – (February 25, 2010 at 5:36 AM)  

Love this post - my parents completly influenced my music taste with stuff from the 1970's and early 80's, it's all I listened to as a child, and now I'm grown up I still go back to it xx

Gi_K.  – (February 25, 2010 at 8:50 AM)  

Love this style. Cute bag. Only the shoes aren't really my taste. The rest is very cool.

About the influence of my own style from my parents? I think a bit, my parents are quite fashionable, more the classy way and that inspires me. But in fact it is just your own taste.. don't think that their influence is big. It is just a matter of taste.

XOXO

catherine_sr.  – (February 25, 2010 at 8:53 AM)  

My Mom was an awesome dresser back in the late 1970s. She's a lot preppier now and our styles are completely different (as my Mom says, nothing I wear surprises her anymore) and my Dad wears the same polo shirt/khaki or jeans combo almost every day, but both my parents have influenced my style because they look for bargains and they pay attention to how they look as a gesture of respect to the people around them. As a result, I shudder when paying retail (I usually only shop at sales unless something really catches my eye), and I also think of dressing up as a form of communication.
the renegade bean

catherine_sr.  – (February 25, 2010 at 8:54 AM)  

Oh, and I wanted to add, I LOVE your ringlets! You look gorgeous in these photos. Do you used a bounced flash? I've been trying to take good indoor photos because the weather in Taipei is so bad.
the renegade bean

Every Little Counts  – (February 25, 2010 at 10:29 AM)  

i totally agree. i'm always channeling back to my mom in the late 70's/ early 80's. she is my biggest style icon. luckily she saved a lot of her clothes and now they are mine!

i love that last photo by the way- very sweet :)

Brittany  – (February 25, 2010 at 11:05 AM)  

This is a beautiful outfit, Maria! I love your attention to details. And I must say, your new haircut looks so great!

Miss Woody  – (February 25, 2010 at 11:17 AM)  

wonderful outfits ! love your blog so much !

stephanie renee  – (February 25, 2010 at 1:06 PM)  

i think i will always be influenced by the 70s because of my parents as well!

Jessica  – (February 25, 2010 at 6:19 PM)  

I adore that little purse! Love the way you do your eyeliner, too.

Kathleen  – (February 26, 2010 at 10:52 AM)  

Oh, I DO think that is very Annie Hall, but updated. (And that, BTW, is my favorite movie!)

How did my folks influence my style? My mom wore whatever she wanted to around the house, but was very conscious of how she looked when she went anywhere. My earliest memories of her are in a maize-yellow shirtwaist dress that had a black print. She also had the most STUNNING sapphire blue cocktail dress, and I acquired a black one with similar attributes when I was in my late 20's. As Mom aged, she favored comfort over fashion, but still made sure all items were color-coordinated. She had grey hair, and chose to set it off with grey and blue making more frequent appearances in her wardrobe. She really did look great in those colors.

Bug  – (February 26, 2010 at 12:53 PM)  

Wow, your indoor pics look great. Mine always look so bland. I love your 70-80s style, suits you so well. Its very unique and I love how you bring it alive with such unique pieces. You look very darling here, love the pants!

inbugsdrawers.blogspot.com

Graham I. Haynes  – (February 27, 2010 at 10:35 AM)  

The shirt dress is so cute! Love it.

I see the close up shot translated well to an illustration, too. Great job on that.

Adore the way you matched the brown leather throughout the outfit here. From the bag to the shoes, and even the buttons on the corduroy coat.

If I saw you on the street I'm sure I'd stop and stare ;)

Kristin  – (February 27, 2010 at 3:19 PM)  

The seventies/early eighties were such a fun time for fashion. I can see why you're obsessed. I've liberated so many pieces outta my Mom's closet from that time it's ridiculous. My fave item is a pair of rust suede knee high boots. I had them on in NYC and went back upstairs to my hotel room to change when I saw how slushy it was outside. Can't ruin a relic!

Dottie  – (February 27, 2010 at 6:56 PM)  

Interesting conversation going on here.

I never thought before about how my parents influenced my style. I could go on and on about how they influenced my love for reading or old school country music or my career in the non-profit field, but not style. Now that you posed the question, I realize that the concept of "style" was pretty non-existent in my household. If anything, caring about your looks and clothes and make-up was a character flaw. To this day, I am too shy and embarrassed to reapply lipstick in a public restroom - I don't want anyone there to think I care about the state of my lipstick!

I do have a fab record collection from my parents - vintage John Denver, Beatles, Dolly Parton, etc.

Daphne  – (March 9, 2010 at 10:48 AM)  

Hi Maria,
this is my first time on your blog, which is why I'm commenting a bit back in the archives! I have to say, I have the SAME fascination as you. 70s-80s has always been my absolute favorite, and you are right, it's because of my parents. Seeing photos of them from the first 10 years of their marriage ('77-'87) has always inspired me. I have actually adopted lots of clothing from my mom from this period (when she was shopping a LOT) but I've also always worshiped those pictures of them- they were SO stylish!!
Definitely following your blog now.
xo
d

Anonymous –   – (August 2, 2011 at 10:28 PM)  

Acne is known as pimples, lumps, and plugged pores that rise on the cope with, neck, face, shoulders and coffer areas.
There is not a man essential element that causes acne and it is stimulated during hormones, put under strain, adolescence, sustenance, and other factors.
The helios can also dreary old hat the outer layer of your pellicle encouraging your sebaceous glands to start producing more oil.
No one is safe to excoriate blemishes when the conditions are there.
Now you have a defense against acne with [url=http://www.peoplesearchengines.org] Proactiv [/url]

There are thick things your can do to forbid your acne from occurring in the before all place.

Always be controllable with your face. Be unbelievable that is too hot or cold can trigger your sebaceous glands to through produce oil and hamper up your skin.
You should wash your appearance at least twice a hour to preserve the bacteria levels to a minimum.
Do not press your face. The hands support the most bacteria and you do not to lieu the bacteria here.
You should also wash your hands varied times a day. This settle upon supporter husband the bacteria levels not up to par in patient you patch up your face.
In behalf of women who use makeup don lubricator sovereign or hypo-allergenic makeup after susceptible skin.
Men should use antiseptic products in spite of razor long that are designed to open the pores and moisturize the skin.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog!

Your wonderful comments are genuinely appreciated!

XOXO,

Maria

Copyright Disclaimer

All drawings and personal photographs are owned by Maria Confer and may not be copied or reproduced without consent. All photos are shot with a Nikon D60 by my husband Cole or myself. When borrowing images please provide a link.

Creative Commons License
Lulu Letty by Maria Confer is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Read about my Privacy Policy.

Header info

Custom header illustration by me.

Subscribe

pinafore ll feed

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP