Lulu Letty: DIY: Red Lipstick Tutorial

DIY: Red Lipstick Tutorial

Many of you have asked me how I get my red lipstick to look so precise, so I thought I'd do a little tutorial. While I don't pretend to be an expert, this is what I have found, through trial and error, that works for me...

Supplies: matte red lipstick, I use Revlon, Really Red; dark red lip liner; lip brush and translucent powder.

DIY Red Lipstick Tutorial

Step One: Start with pre-moistened lips.
DIY Red Lipstick Tutorial

Step Two: Line lips with dark red pencil and fill in.
DIY Red Lipstick Tutorial

Step Three: Apply a thin coat of translucent powder to lips. This helps build a long lasting foundation.
DIY Red Lipstick Tutorial

Step Four: Lightly dab your lipstick onto your lips.
DIY Red Lipstick Tutorial

Step Five: Fill in lipstick using a lip brush. This allows you more control with an easier application.
DIY Red Lipstick Tutorial

For an even longer lasting lipstick, repeat steps three and five. And don't forget the finger pop to remove excess lipstick to keep it from sticking to your teeth.

VoilĂ !
DIY Red Lipstick Tutorial
small bow no shadow
If you need further clarifications, feel free to email me!

XOXO
Maria Sig

Dustjacket Attic  – (January 26, 2010 at 4:35 AM)  

Just fabulous darling, thank you.
xxx

Shabna  – (January 26, 2010 at 4:42 AM)  

Gorgeous! Visit my blog If you have time :)

Sher  – (January 26, 2010 at 4:45 AM)  

Oh great tips, Maria! I need to get a lip brush and lip liner soon:)

Amy  – (January 26, 2010 at 4:49 AM)  

You have gorgeous lips and your lip application is superb.

Sahakiel  – (January 26, 2010 at 4:50 AM)  

God saves the red lipstick!! (My favourite color, I must say! You should try the Dior's 666 - I think that was the number-; it's my favourite red one ever!)

ValeF  – (January 26, 2010 at 4:53 AM)  

very useful! I'll surely try!

Elle  – (January 26, 2010 at 5:06 AM)  

Ooh, I've always admired your red lips! Thanks for sharing :)

Sherin  – (January 26, 2010 at 5:31 AM)  

Great tutorial1 I'm so bad when it comes to wearing lipstick, so I'll definitely try this.

le blog de leen  – (January 26, 2010 at 5:58 AM)  

this is such a great tutorial
you girl really know how to look gorgeous

leen

marinadolls  – (January 26, 2010 at 6:18 AM)  

Thanks for this lesson! I love the red! Me too i use this lipstick it's so pin-up, so romatic! So chic!

Anniina  – (January 26, 2010 at 6:45 AM)  

Your instructions are very good! Thank you!

Vinda Sonata  – (January 26, 2010 at 6:58 AM)  

very nice tutorial, maria. you look lovely as usual. :)

Manja  – (January 26, 2010 at 7:29 AM)  

Thanks for that little tutorial! And now I just remember that I never replied to your email where you explained me your red lips how-to (worst.memory.ever) because I tried it a while ago and for the first time ever, succeeded! So, thanks for that!

melly  – (January 26, 2010 at 7:54 AM)  

Shucks I have been holding out on getting a lip liner but this post kinda kick me in the behind, I will!

I do have one more question tho, any tips on how not to stain my glass/cup while dining out? I'm a little embarrassed about it, especially if I'm eating with people I'm not so close to.

Kelley Anne  – (January 26, 2010 at 8:00 AM)  

I never would have thought of the transluscent powder. Thanks for doing this. Your lips always look perfect.

ru.kurarin  – (January 26, 2010 at 8:14 AM)  

brilliant tutorial, thanks dear. also, that top is gorgeous.

Valencia Lia  – (January 26, 2010 at 8:47 AM)  

Yayy this is perfect to follow!! Ohhh I really love how simple this was and you do all your tutorials so easy to follow which is awesome:)

I need to go grab my hands on the Revlon lippie you have hee

StrongImagination  – (January 26, 2010 at 9:20 AM)  

I've always wondered at the use of lip liner. Is it really necessary?

Jen –   – (January 26, 2010 at 9:53 AM)  

I wonder if this would cure my problem of lipstick coming off about ten seconds after I put it on.

Dream Sequins  – (January 26, 2010 at 10:05 AM)  

Wow- thanks for the translucent powder tip! I'll have to give that a go next time I apply a bright red :) I always forget the finger pop step and end up with bleeding red teeth. Gross :)

sueper  – (January 26, 2010 at 10:11 AM)  

great tutorial - maria with the red lips ;)

catherine_sr.  – (January 26, 2010 at 10:20 AM)  

What a cool tutorial! I never thought of using translucent powder on top of lip liner before. I usually use the Mac lipstick that lasts forever (it comes in a tube with two ends -- pigment and gloss) but I'm usually scared of traditional red lipsticks. I do own a tube of Mac Russian Red, however, and next time I break it out will refer to your instructions. Thanks!
the renegade bean

Diana  – (January 26, 2010 at 11:22 AM)  

I've worn red for so long and this is by far one of the best tutorials I've read. I love how you added the pop step, I never know how to explain that friends! :)

fashionforwriters  – (January 26, 2010 at 11:44 AM)  

Wonderful tutorial! I like seeing the transformation from natural lips to perfect siren lips!

xo Jenny

Randi Troxell  – (January 26, 2010 at 1:11 PM)  

oh! found you through dustjacket attic.. and i love your home here on the web.. hope you don't mind if i stick around a while!

by the way- red lipsticks.. one of my most favorite things in my world.. can't red lipstick turn a horrible day into a winner!?!

Lexie  – (January 26, 2010 at 1:25 PM)  

red lipstick is just perfect on you! i swear revlon should be paying you for this! :u)

Bella  – (January 26, 2010 at 2:11 PM)  

I've always wondered how you get your lipstick so nice :) xxx

soulier dans la neige  – (January 26, 2010 at 2:12 PM)  

that's how I do it too and it really works well :)

Mo  – (January 26, 2010 at 3:34 PM)  

beautiful ! as soon as a get myself to buy a real lipstick i ll try that !

Georgia  – (January 26, 2010 at 3:35 PM)  

Ohh.. that's how you do it! Thanks for sharing, I'm feeling inspired to try it on my own :)

Rachel C.  – (January 26, 2010 at 4:28 PM)  

Your lipstick always looks perfect. I don't think I'm brave enough to try, though!

Graham I. Haynes  – (January 26, 2010 at 5:36 PM)  

lol to the 'step one' photo.
both cute & hilarious :)

Mel  – (January 26, 2010 at 9:15 PM)  

Thanks for the tutorial! Goodness knows I need help with makeup in general :)

Laurel  – (January 26, 2010 at 9:58 PM)  

Great tips Maria!

I really need to get myself a lip liner!

x

emma wallace  – (January 26, 2010 at 11:26 PM)  

Definitely need to get some more supplies! But this is so helpful! I really appreciate you posting this tutorial.

iamemmamusic.blogspot.com

Marmelindela  – (January 27, 2010 at 5:57 AM)  

This is really really helpfull. Thanks so much! (I'm such a doofus with make-up).

Susie Jefferson  – (January 28, 2010 at 11:20 AM)  

What I used to do, back in The Day, was to use lip liner, then a lip brush to really work the lipstick in. Then blot, add a second coat of lipstick - so even if it wears off, you still have the stain.

You can also use lip liner over the entire lip area as well, then the lipstick routine (and more lipliner when finished, just to emphasise a little more strongly). This is the one I go for if for an evening do where the the lighting is going to be bad (lasts ALL night).

3rd alternative, when in a matt mood: I do the lipliner all over, then the lip brush thingie, blog, more lipstick (straight from the tube) then translucent powder. This is really heavy - but sometimes, that's just what I'm in the mood for.

Nowadays, being older, I tend to go for more of a coral red with a touch of blue (for whiter teeth) and a fuschia lipliner, and just stick with the one coat.

Boy, this takes me back...

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog!

Your wonderful comments are genuinely appreciated!

XOXO,

Maria

Copyright Disclaimer

All drawings and personal photographs are owned by Maria Confer and may not be copied or reproduced without consent. All photos are shot with a Nikon D60 by my husband Cole or myself. When borrowing images please provide a link.

Creative Commons License
Lulu Letty by Maria Confer is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Read about my Privacy Policy.

Header info

Custom header illustration by me.

Subscribe

pinafore ll feed

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP